Join this week-long, virtual, hands-on course to help you transition to a job in biotech, medtech, or pharma. Discover the business side of science, network, and learn interdisciplinary skills through a team project. About 70% of attendees now have jobs in industry, regulatory affairs, or tech transfer.
Who Should Apply?
- PhD students, graduate students, and postdocs in health, science, and medical programs who wish to explore opportunities to implement their expertise in a biomedical business career
- Academics in the health/medical areas who are looking for a condensed, brief overview of the biomedical business world and how they can fit in
- Gain an understanding of how science is conducted and commercialized in industry through case study analysis and group problem-solving exercises. Topics will include commercializing science, business models, market assessment, innovation management, and building networks and entrepreneurship.
- Learn about career paths for scientists in industry, and how to leverage your analytical PhD skill set for a professional career
- Make connections with industry guests and like-minded course participants
- Learn interdisciplinary teamwork through a team project
- Get advice on building a resume, dissecting job postings, and landing job interviews
June 19-23, 2023
Who Is Eligible to Apply:
All are welcome to apply (international and U.S.), though the course is primarily designed for the following:
- Graduate students with at least two years of scientific research experience
- Non-tenure-track junior scientists
The registration fee for the course is $300, reduced to $250 for each participants, thanks to generous support from Biogen. The fee includes tuition and all curriculum materials.
All scholarship have been applied to reduce course registration (see above).
You do not need to be an ASCB member to apply, but you will need to become an ASCB member in order to register.
New this Year - The application review process has been eliminated, and all applicants can register as soon as you receive the confirmation email.
- Click the Apply Now button at the top of this page to submit an application. In the application you will be asked to briefly describe (350 words or less) why you think industry is a better fit for you than academia and how this course can help you.
- Once your application is completed you will receive a confirmation email. In this email will be a link to complete registration. There is no acceptance process and you can proceed with registration right away.
- Click the link to make your payment and complete registration.
- Your spot in the biotech course will not be confirmed unless you complete both the application and registration, with payment.
Applications open on March 1 and close on May 31.
This course is organized jointly by the American Society for Cell Biology, Keck Graduate Institute, and University of Massachusetts, Lowell, the Manning School of Business. The course is supported by Biogen and the Center for Advancing Point of Care Technologies
"The Biotech Course was a fantastic experience. It helped me understand how business decisions are made in the biotech and pharmaceutical industries by introducing key concepts in business development, marketing, commercialization, social networks and entrepreneurship. More importantly, I got to know and work with many truly amazing people who are also trying to make a transition from academia to industry.”
“The Biotech Course is very helpful for whoever's looking to transition into industry. And it’s reassuring that a lot of people are in the same boat as you. What wonderful people! Lots learnt. Lots more to go.”
“My postdoc attended the ASCB West Coast Biotech [in 2019]. He has been interested in transitioning to biotech for a couple of years now. He had applied for several jobs prior to the course, but lacking an inside perspective and the right advice had not been successful. Within a few weeks of the ASCB biotech course he obtained a position through someone he met at the course. Thank you very much—very useful.”
—Karen Oegema, University of California, San Diego
Tentative Course Schedule
|Monday, June 19||Tuesday, June 20||Wednesday, June 21||Thursday, June 22||Friday, June 23|
1-1:30pm – Welcome and introductions
1:00-3pm – Panel/Mentor Meetings
1-1:30pm – Bio-entrepreneurship Bootcamp Intro
1-3pm – Social Networks, Entrepreneurship & Innovation
1-2:30pm – Professional Development Workshop 1
|1:30-3:45pm – Commercialization in Biotech||1:30-3pm – Team work Period||
2:30-3pm – Break
|3:45-4pm – Break||3-3:30pm – Break||3:30-5pm – Pitch Competition||
3-3:30pm – Break
3-4:30pm – Professional Development Workshop 2
|4-5pm – Guest Speaker||3:30-5pm – Keynote speaker, Harvey Lodish||3:30-5pm – Professional Development Session, Judy Heyboer||4:30-5pm – Ending remarks|
View Articles about Past Courses
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com