Univ NM’s IRACDA for teaching postdocs has 2 slots – apply now!

The ASERT Program at the University of New Mexico is an IRACDA program that has 2 slots left for postdocs seeking dual training in research and teaching — Apply Now! Start date Sept. 1, 2016.

The Academic Science Education and Research Training (ASERT) Program at the University of New Mexico is an NIGMS IRACDA program that is designed to offer outstanding training that fosters excellence as educators and researchers to highly qualified scientists. The intent of the program is to prepare the future generation of academic scientists for the challenges they will face in the lab and in the classroom.

The University of New Mexico is New Mexico’s flagship institution in Albuquerque.

The ASERT Program provides 3 years of support and matches incoming fellows in research settings in Biology, Bioengineering and Biomedical Sciences. Trainees spend an average of 75% of their time conducting research and the other 25% of their effort on developing the other essential skills that they will need to possess in order to compete for faculty positions. Teaching skills are developed through specialized coursework and workshops and hands-on practical experiences. Other professional development activities include scientific communication, grantsmanship and management of financial and human resources. Teaching experience is gained through partnerships between the ASERT program and regional minority-serving institutions, including Central New Mexico Community College, New Mexico State University and Southwestern Indian Polytechnic Institute.

Applicants must be U.S. Citizens or permanent residents at the time of their appointment. The program welcomes prospective applicants who will broaden the diversity of the biomedical workforce, including underrepresented minorities, women, socioeconomically disadvantaged individuals and those with disabilities. Start date for 2016 is September 1, with some flexibility for applicants who will be completing their PhD in Fall 2016.

Here is a link to the ASERT website.

About the Author: